After receiving several requests, we wanted to explore some of the concerns in choosing contractors for your historic home. Here are some questions to ask before choosing a contractor.
If you have specific contractors that you would like to recommend to your neighbors, please do so in the comments section below.
- 1. Ask to see references from other historic properties they’ve done.
- 2. Do they or have they ever personally lived in a historic home?
- 3. Are your contractors familiar with the standards set by the city of Columbus’ Historic Resource Commission?
- 4. Ask your neighbors for recommendations, in person or via social media networks.
- 5. How will your contractors be gaining materials needed for the remodel? Who will be their suppliers? Finding materials to remodel a historic home is sometimes not as easy as a trip to the local home improvement store. Make sure you’re clear where you’re willing to compromise on materials and where you’re not.
- 6. Are your contractors certified in safe lead paint practices?
Or for a general guideline on how to choose a contractor, visit How to Hire a General Contractor.